Monday, September 24, 2007

Communicating the Risk

Education is an element in our society that is taken for granted. In the midst of conflict in the Middle East, education is a necessity that Israel is lacking. This situation is definitely a serious one which needs to be addressed as soon as possible. As many people experience in our society in the United States, most public education is sufficient and meets credentials created by the government. In the case of Israel, this is simply not the case. As more and more attention is paid to the issues of peace keeping in the Middle East and defense of the country, funding is taken from educational programs in order to pay for these other expenses. This concern of education is an urgent one, and one that needs a plan and participants in order to carry out. My intentions here are to inform the Jewish community of this issue and encourage them to volunteer their time, money, and materials to help dissolve the problem at hand.

In communicating this risk, it is essential to provide substantial information and facts about the education problems in Israel and how they affect the audience. The issue at hand would best fit somewhere between care and consensus communication approach. Given that the situation is not an immediate threat or danger to the audience, crisis communication would not be a best fit communication tactic in order to inform the community of the risk. The concern for funding of public educational programs in Israel is one that has been around since the establishment of the country. Therefore, there have been numerous efforts to address this specific issue by experts as well as the general audience. The reason I would also place it under the category of consensus communication is because my main goal is to inform and encourage action to be taken in order to work together for this achievement of higher standards for public education.

A significant issue that is necessary to address is the analysis of my audience as well as my qualifications as a risk communicator. I need to be able to connect with my audience in a way that will ensure their trust in me. Through my experiences with the public education system in Israel, I hope to gain trust and authority that my audience will be attentive to. My goal is to make them realize that the issue I am raising is serious and they as an audience are in a special position to take action. It is crucial to get substantial facts about the public education across to the audience in a fashion in which they can relate and understand. Interest and desire to get involved will result from showing the audience that this issue impacts them directly as well as. By combining consensus and care communication, I hope to reach my audience and convince them that the revival of the public education system in Israel is an important problem that they can contribute to.

No comments: